I really loved making this diaper cake. They come out so cute and you can customize them however you like! It’s also a great way to sneak in extra gifts besides just diapers. I made this particular one for my sister-in-law’s baby shower. We both had baby girls about a month apart – yay for cousins! Her theme in the her nursery is aqua and pink so that’s what I went with for her diaper cake.
I see a lot of people selling these online but I just think they are so easy to make yourself, why pay someone else to do it? My husband definitely would, but I am a frugal person and like to save wherever I can. Gather these supplies and get started making your very own diaper cake!
So, you will need:
1-2 different kinds of ribbon, preferably at least 2 inches wide
Some sort of cute topper – this could be a stuffed animal, pair of newborn shoes, etc.
Size 1 diapers – I used about 75, but if you want a bigger or smaller cake, just adjust the number you need to buy.
2 tall and skinny lotion/shampoo/powder bottles
1 round cardboard cake base
4 receiving blankets
- Roll the diapers. Open them to roll, but do not pull the tabs out or anything. Just roll from top to bottom or vice versa. Once rolled, put a small rubber band around each one.
- Put your tallest bottle in the center of the cardboard. Start placing your rolled diapers around that item. Once you have made a complete circle of diapers, put a rubber band around it.
- Begin working on your next circle and place a rubber band around that. Once you get to your desired size, move onto the next layer.
- Do the same thing you did for the bottom layer on this second level. You should be able to place your smaller sized bottle in the middle.
- For your top layer, the smaller bottle that you placed in the middle should have a cap showing so that your top layer kind of holds onto that. You can either leave the hole to stuff your topper in or you can fill it with a tightly rolled diaper and then place your topper on top of it.
- The fun part, decorating! The bottom layer is going to need 2 blankets to cover it if your cake is the same size as mine. Place each blanket around the layers and use the ribbon to secure. Decide how you want to place your ribbons. You can either rotate each color if you choose more than one, or double the colors on each layer. Its all up to you!
- Once you have tied ribbon around each layer, go ahead and place your topper on.
And that’s it! I think it’s such a fun little project and looks great at any baby shower.
My diaper cake…